Firstly… Mine and Lydia’s BOOTIE session went well … Lyd needed a kick up the butt every so often ; ) But she did well, it was a good session and we had a good sweat on and the gym to ourselves mostly! – Result! Happy days.
Ok so my topic today, coming from working in a brand new gym, it’s been brought to my attention just how important a clean gym is! For the image of the gym especially, and many other reasons, but mainly for our members and our own health and well-being! Being ill is neither a good look or a great look! And leaves you feeling ming!
So… have concocted a list of how you can protect yourself from germs whilst in the gym. Because believe it or not, it’s probably one of the most likeliest places to pick up germs.
By sharing equipment we are coming into contact with bacteria on a daily basis. Especially now that the winter is coming and people are more likely to have colds, because they don’t look after themselves all year ’round with vitamins etc etc! Tut !
– Place a towel or piece of clothing between your skin and surfaces of shared equipment such as mats or weight benches. When using stationary bikes or other cardio equipment with seats, make sure to put a towel over the seat. Don’t use the same towel to dry off in the shower as you use on the equipment, that’s just silly! Buy a bag which fits 2 towels – Durr!
– Wipe surfaces of equipment before and after use. Alcohol is the active ingredient you need to look for in the sanitizer. Plenty out there, even hand-bag size boys!
– Wear gloves. Clearly not a ‘manly’ image to some men, but these are just the image conscious guys ; ) We all know that you’d rather be without calluses really.
– Take a shower on your own after your workout, not together. If you shower at the gym make sure to use flip-flops (it’s a good look I’ve decided) and don’t sit directly on any surfaces naked, sit on a clean towel. It’s just unhygienic and lets be honest now-one reeally wants to gawk at you butt naked?! – Accept if it was Ryan Reynolds of course I’m sure you’d agree ladies ; )
– If you can’t take a shower, wash your hands with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand cleaner. It takes under a minute! I don’t believe you are in THAT much of a rush to get anywhere smelling like that!
– I know Mother always said it’s nice to share, but don’t share personal items such as razors and towels.
– Cover cuts, scratches or scrapes with a clean bandage. It just looks cool.
– Please refrain from grunting and spitting
– If your sweat is out of control – See someone, there’s help out there!
– Make sure your daps are clean !! .. mud and grit doesn’t bode well when you’re face down on the matt stretching your left glute!
All simple things that if we all made sure we did daily then we will avoid gym germs spreading around the place. DO IT please : )
Loves of germ-free love!
Call Beth for a free consultation